Wednesday, March 16, 2011

In response to my last post...

There were some comments about my last post that I wanted to address and try and clarify a little more about what I said. Thanks for taking to the time to read my blog. My heart breaks for those suffering from all that is going on over there. It is tragic and I can't imagine being there and seeing the destruction, pain, and hurt all around. I was trying to gain a biblical understanding of the world, which I don't think is opposed to science. Here is why...


The God that I believe in has set up the universe in a certain way, and usually works within that framework (including the shifting of the earth's plates which account for earthquakes and tsunami's as well as the formation of continents, mountains, canyons, etc). He may circumvent the natural order at times, but that doesn't usually seem to be the case. I don't have any reason to believe that the recent earthquake and tsunami are an exception, so we should try to understand how these things happen, seeking the best explanations we can find (including putting the best researchers and thinkers on the case). When there is rain, I expect to see rain clouds.
 
I think all tragedy and pain are consequences of living in a broken world. I don't presume to know the mind of God about these situations, and my apologies if you thought I was saying that the disaster was God's indictment on Japan. That wasn't what I wanted to communicate. But I do think the God who created and set the world in order is powerful. He loves His people and wants to be in relationship with us. I'm sure we don't see eye to eye on these things and that is ok, but thanks for reading. I appreciate constructive dialogue.

No comments:

Post a Comment